RACWA badges

Page under construction.

Click thumbnails for enlargements.

(Badge photos will be uploaded soon).

On January 28, 1905, a group of motoring enthusiasts met in Perth and formed the Automobile Club of Western Australia, largely at the instigation of Richard Strelitz, a keen motorist and Fremantle entrepreneur. The first car badges were issued in 1910 and featured the Western Australian black swan.


In 1915 the club successfully became an official affiliate of the RAC UK which led to a redesign of the badge. This design of badge continued in various versions until 1950 when the Club adopted the lozenge shaped badge of the RAC. A King’s crown version of the badge first appeared but was replaced by a Queen's crown version in the mid 1950s. This style of badge remained in use until as late as 1990 when the last RAC badge, a small barrel-shaped type, was introduced and designed for fixing to vehicle registration plates.

Text and photographs on this page are copyright. ©

More information on the history of the RACWA may be found at http://rac.com.au/About-Us/About-RAC/Our-history.aspx and

http://rac.com.au/About-Us/About-RAC/Our-history/Memories-and-memorabilia.aspx